Wednesday, November 25, 2009

November 24

Today is the day before Thanksgiving. It will be the first Thanksgiving I have ever spent away from my family. It will certainly be different and I will miss going around the dinner table saying things I am thankful for. I am glad I am writing these kinds of things on this blog. Having a "thankful heart" sure gives this season a lot more meaning.
1.) I am very grateful for my home (which is anywhere as long as I am with my family) bu the place we are living in right now sure is my sanctuary. I love the feeling I get being in it. I love that I can use my imagination to decorate and make it a warm and inviting place. I am grateful that this is the place we are building some of our most wonderful memories as our little family.

2.) I am grateful for medicines that help comfort when sick. After reading the book Three Cups of Tea I was surprised to read that having something as simple as a basic first aid kit saved people's lives. Wow. I can't imagine having a cold or a sore throat and not be able to run to the store for some nose spray or cough drops. T is sick right now pretty badly and I find great comfort in seeing these medicines comdort him.

3.) I am grateful for Christmas lights. The lights on our tree, on our garland, and in our nativity scene really make it feel like the Christmas season is coming. It is just so nice to look at.

4.) I am grateful for my mother in law, who called for no reason other then to just check up on me and let me know she was thinking about me. Wow, I am blessed. She is so thoughtful. I have so much to learn from her.

5.) I am grateful for trying new things and succeeding. I do not consider myself very domesticated, but now I see that it is becoming more and more important to have those skills. I was terrified of cutting my husband's hair and have failed many times in the past, BUT the last two months I have successfully done it and it looks great. Also for some weird reason I never thought I could make a very good homemade lasagna. Well after three different tries I did it! I also have never touched a sewing machine and a few weeks ago learned the basics of sewing and am SO excited about starting some new projects. Also I have always wanted to be a good decorator, but didn't feel like I really had the special touch. After a few nice compliments I feel like I am making progress. It is fun and a bit empowering to do things that others do so easily that you think you could never do.

No comments:

Post a Comment